Jan 28, 2010

Label Whore

So, yesterday I talked about my new designer jeans that I was very gun shy about purchasing.  They are Big Star jeans BTW and Erin over at The Mother Load (go check her out, she is great) suggested I do a review of them.  I may do that just so I can show you all a pic of how good my butt looks in them.  Anyway, with my fist clenched tightly around my paycheck, I don't believe I will ever qualify for the label whore title.  Even when I was young and irresponsible with my money, I still shied away from extravagant purchases.

Every summer, from about 14 on I guess, my younger sister (by 3 years) and I would watch my brother (11 years younger than me) so that my parents could save the money they would pay to a daycare while we were out of school.  Our payment for this was we each had $200 to spend on our back to school clothes and shoes.  My sister would spend her first $100 on Doc's right out of the gate.  I was much more likely to buy a couple pairs of Levi's, a pair of inexpensive running shoes, a pair of look alike boots from payless, and what ever cool top from 5-7-9 that I just had to have at that moment for what she spent on 1 pair of boots.  The rest of my money was usually spent in the hallowed aisles of the good 'ole Walmart.  Let me tell you, I came out of there with stacks of stuff.  And while some things didn't last all the way through the school year, some stuff did.  And since I cannot get rid of clothes that are not falling apart, some are still in my closet (ok, ok some of it might be falling apart).

My husband on the other hand grew up wearing Calvin's and what ever else was "in" for the moment.  Except when he was in his Wrangler stage (when I first me him at 13).  His mom was very much into having her kids wear the best clothes that they could afford - that is not to say there weren't time when it wasn't in the budget.

Now that we are grown and have our own kids, while I want them to have the best of what we can give them, I also don't want them to be spoiled.  I am a sale shopper so the only time I buy my kids clothes at Gymboree is when they are on sale, or I somehow manage to have Gymbucks.   My kids label clothes, at least the ones that I buy, nearly always come from a resale shop.  If you have never been to one, you are missing out.  I find outfits with the tags still on them.  My son has a pair of Polo boots that look brand new that I bought for $13!

My problem is becoming, my daughter prefers to wear the designer stuff.  Through her trips to the mall with my MIL she has discovered Justice for Girls (I think it was The Limited when I was younger).  I don't mind her getting things from this store, but it is starting to be all she wants to wear or buy.  For I child who is growing so much, I really cannot bring myself to buy $40 jeans...for a 7 year old!  Right now I can still get her to settle for the ones at Target, but how long will that last.  Is there a way to teach her about the hard times where you can't afford those things?  We have been through them, but she is too young to remeber.

5 comments:

Kiera said...

deal news dot com, baby! don't go to malls- it's too easy to pay full (or almost) full price!

Erin said...

Thanks for the shout out!
;-)

My kids mostly live in Target clothes or things we've gotten as hand-me-downs from friends. Occasionally things from The Children's Place, but mostly Target. They are 4 and like you said, I can't justify spending so much when they're going to rip, stain, or outgrow things in a few months!!

m.c. said...

so...i am a self-admitted jeans snob. love the buckle. love the jeans. jeans is one of the only things i will pay the big bucks for. whether for myself or the kids, :/ luckily, old navy happens to fit the boys really well...so they are not too bad. however, aiden is another story. the gap pants/jeans fit her the best by far. luckily they put their stuff on sell sometimes. well...and my mother likes the good stuff too! :) i say, buy fewer pairs and pay the money. but don't tell chad. ;)

Amy said...

I could be wrong on this, but my theory is labels seem to be more important to girls than boys. Growing up my friend had access to her daddy's credit card and could go shopping anytime. As a result she always had what was in style and all the other girls tried to mimic that. Boys don't seem to compete in that way.

We have a store here called "once upon a child" It's fantastic. It's a second hand store but like you said many things still have the original tags. With little kids who grow out of things over night, it really is the best way to go.

Tracie said...

I would start out teaching her about money now. You might have to simplify it but she will catch on.

Also, I just think that these things are so much more important to girls than boys. And peer pressure starts early.