Jan 17, 2010

Plane Ticket To.....?

My mother in law has given me the use of a round trip plane ticket that she earned from points on her credit card as a birthday gift.  The problem is I have no idea where to go.  I have to use the ticket by May 2nd.  Otherwise I would use it to go to my youngest siblings high school graduation in Arizona.  The only other limitation is that it has to be somewhere that Southwest flies in the Continental US.

We live in the Houston area and I have told my husband I really want to use the ticket to go somewhere 1) we (I - he travels more than I do) have never been and (2) I want it to be some where we would not reasonably drive to.  That already knocks out quite a few options.  We likely won't use the ticket until April due to commitments in February and our sitter (MIL) will be chaperoning a field trip for her 5th graders to DC during spring break week.  This will most likely be an extended weekend trip since I don't get vacation time and Clint is in a new position at work and cannot take off a ton of time.

Birmingham, AL


Little Rock, AR

Phoenix, AZ


Tucson, AZ

Burbank, CA

Los Angeles, CA

Oakland, CA

Ontario, CA

Orange County, CA

Sacramento, CA

San Diego, CA

San Francisco, CA

San Jose, CA

Denver, CO

Hartford / Springfield, CT

Washington DC

Ft. Lauderdale / Miami, FL

Ft. Myers / Naples, FL

Jacksonville, FL


Orlando, FL

Panama City, FL

Tampa Bay, FL

West Palm Beach, FL

Boise, ID

Chicago, IL

Indianapolis, IN

Kansas City, KS

Louisville, KY

New Orleans, LA this is considered drivable at about 5 hrs and we have been here many times

Boston, MA

Baltimore, MD

Detroit, MI

Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN

St. Louis, MO

Jackson, MS

Raleigh-Durham, NC

Omaha, NE

Manchester, NH

Albuquerque, NM

Las Vegas, NV  went for my b-day last year and might consider going back despite my requirements.

Reno / Tahoe, NV

Albany, NY

Long Island, NY

New York, NY

Cleveland, OH

Columbus, OH

Oklahoma City, OK

Tulsa, OK

Portland, OR

Philadelphia, PA

Pittsburgh, PA

Providence, RI

Nashville, TN

Amarillo, TX

Austin, TX yearly trip destination

Corpus Christi, TX

Dallas, TX

El Paso, TX

Harlingen / South Padre Island, TX

Houston, TX - Starting Point

Lubbock, TX


Midland / Odessa, TX


San Antonio, TX

Salt Lake City, UT

Norfolk, VA

Seattle / Tacoma, WA

Spokane, WA

Milwaukee, WI


So Internet buds, even after marking off the destinations that do not fit the above criteria, I still have a ton of options left.  So can any of you help me?  Is your hometown the best place in the US and a place I just absolutely have to see?  If so, what makes it special?  Or have you been somewhere that has the best  ____________(fill in the blank) you have ever experienced?  Rachel, you world traveler...what are your suggestions?

5 comments:

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

I am also in Houston...I would go to DC or to Chicago or to NYC

Amy said...

OMG! How sweet is your MIL! That's such a cool present! I'm in Lafayette, La...which yeah, right down the road from you:)

My vote would be be for NYC because I am secretely DYING to get there. My second choice would be Chicago! One of the best trips I ever took with my husband! Beautiful, clean, and non-intimidating city! It's wonderful!

The Harrell Family Adventures said...

I sent you an email :) Anyway you go it'll be a great trip :)

kys said...

I vote NYC, too. I love it there!

Brian said...

Scratch Albany NY. NYC might be interesting. Personally haven't been there in years (live in Rochester) but we get to see it on LAw & Order every week. It's a zoo!

Boston would be pretty cool too. Duckboat Tours might be started up again by then, there's the Freedom Trail, gobs of history, great food.