Jan 9, 2010

What Have I Gotten Myself In To

When my kids were younger, I relly tried to be supper mommy when it came to the kids birthday parties. They were done at home with an extensive menu for kids and adults. Themes were in place, cakes were painstakinly decorated by yours truely, and the house was spotless. After several years of being frazzled beyond recognition I got smart and stared paying places to host, clean up, and provide the food. Some were more expensive (jumpin' jungle excessively so).

This year for my daughter's 7th birthday party (always put off a week since all the parents are usually hung over on her actual bithday) I am venturing back into the scary world of at home parties. I thought I was going to make it as easy as possible on myself by limiting her to 5 friends and not making it an affair for the entire family. Christian was given tickets to Monster Jam so he wouldn't be bugging the girls all night. What I didn't consider in advance was my girlfriend (whose daughter is best friends with Leaky) was going to be out of town and unable to help me through the chaos.

To try to minimze the stress of the day the cake and brownies were baked last night. When I finish my hair appointment I will go finish getting the supplies for the necklace project I have planned for the girls then head home to decorate the cake and bake the cookies for the girls to decorate. On the way back from picking up 2 of the girls - parents are out of town - I will order pizzas.

I have 5 girls coming for the party and 3 spending the night in addition to my one with only one other adult to help me through the party itself. Assuming I survive the night I will update everyone tomorrow on how it goes. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Good luck! Both my kids are winter babies (Jan 21 and Feb. 2) and since the weather here is unpredictable, we have mostly stuck to family only parties - and I mean, just the 4 of us. For the past few years, we've let our oldest invite a friend over for pizza and a sleep over. I don't think boys are all about the "slumber party" birthdays....