Jan 15, 2010

What is Wrong with the World

Why is it that someones pain can be someone elses gain?  Why do some people see the major disaster in Haiti as an opportunity to line their own pockets?  Honestly, hasn't this already poor country been through enough?  Less than 18 months ago this same region was rocked by Hurricane Gustav.  We are talking about people who under normal circumstances have a difficult time coming across clean water.

Yesterday I added a note at the bottom of my post of an easy way to aide the relief effort by texting HAITI to 90999 in order to donate $10 to the Red Cross that will be added to your phone bill.  Today the news is filled with warnings of scams and thousands of websites popped up over night claiming to be raising money for disaster relief under false pretense.  I can think of very little that hurts my heart more than to know there are so many in our country (that is already richer than 95% of the rest of the world) that would take advantage of such a devastating event.

If you do plan to give, please do your research first and make sure your contribution for aide is truly going where it is needed most.  My recommendation is to go directly to the source of a known aide organization such as Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders.  There are a lot out there.  Just be careful.

Here is the website for The Better Business Bureau Haiti earthquake relief.  http://www.bbb.org/us/haiti-earthquake-relief/

Blood donations are also needed, so if you are able, please do!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I could not have said it better myself. Honestly, I don't know how people sleep at night stealing from the weak and poor. It's disgusting.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

It always shocks me when I hear about things like this, but it really shouldn't. It seems like there will always be those scumbags who take advantage of tragic situations. Shame on them!