Feb 24, 2010

The Time Has Come

HOLY SHIT YA'LL! (yes I am from Texas - SHUT UP!)  10:15 a.m. officially marks my third decade here on plant earth.  Because you know, I lived on Venus before that.

Well I guess this means its time to update my 29 things to do before 30.  Don't get all excited for me.  I was an utter failure.  But that's OK.  Cause I am still here and I can still do these things (or not).  Here goes.

1. Blog everyday for a month - I have tried once before, but life kinda got in the way!


I did really well in January (for a while).  As usual life got in the way.  One thing that I discovered though, is when I put that mandate on myself, blogging became a chore and something I would put off till the last minute.  Now I will only blog it I have something to say...or nothing at all and I just want to put some nonsense out there :)

2. Ride a 4-wheeler on my own again. Since the accident in Mexico a year and a half ago I am a bit gun shy with riding solo.

This hasn't happened, but it is likely to this summer.  My brace and I are looking forward to it.

3. Related to the 4 wheeler accident - go to the Dr. and have my wrist checked. I really need to do this since I can't even bend my wrist enough to get into the push-up position - really I'm not sure not being able to do push ups is a problem, but my husband assures me it is.

Hmmm...I don't like going to the Dr. so, no, not done.

4. Try to play guitar hero...I plan on getting the house all to myself (yeah, like that is ever going to happen) and getting like pro level and then suprising my dear hubs with my mad skills...he won't ever see it coming

No Guitar Hero (the guitars require batteries).  But I am kicking ass and taking names on Dance Dance Revolution

5. Spend an entire day with my kids laughing when I want to yell...I have a feeling this will be a tough one.

Done.  Hard.  Felt good not going to bed with guilt.
6. Try sushi again...I am not a big fan of any of it that actually has uncooked fish. I am cool with California rolls (which I have been informed are not real sushi), but I am commiting myself to try the real deal. If I die in the next few months, it will be from food poisoning!

Done! I have officially had salmon sashimi, tuna, california rolls, and rock and roll. I still did not like the salmon and tuna! Clint informed me all sushi means is made with rice. Clint had this. It is some kind of caviar and he said it kind of explodes in you mouth. Definately not trying that!


7. Get a Kindle and load my book collection electronically. I am currently taking up 2 walls in my son's room with all my books (he has floor to ceiling book shelves on 3 walls) What!!! I'ts a small room!

Not yet, but on my Priority list.

8. Finish the remodel on the kid's bahroom

2 Doors on, Bead board up in small room, texture and toilet.  Still need to paint, get a sink, cabinet and put up 3rd door and bead board in the larger room

9. Buy the tile for the rest of my house - before the discontinued stock sells out!

Don't know why we haven't done this yet, but we did get a bid for having someone else lay the tile for us.

10. Convince my boss to give me vacation/sick time.
I got a raise.  I think that is supposed to cover not having vacay and sick time.  I was a really good raise!

11. Read Twilight...see what the fuss is about...not that I need to get another book addiction Would like to download this on my new e-reader, but might have to borrow from the library or buy at a used book store.

I bought the first book, started it a few weeks ago, but never got past the 2nd chapter.  Not like I have time to read much anyway.

12. Go on a wine tour...luckily we only live a few hours from some of the most beautiful wine country!

Haven't done this, but still really want to.

13. Learn to cook something Thai. My hubs loves the spicy food, so I want to be able to make something for him...I know I am so selfless!!!

Maybe I'll just take him out for Thai.  I do have a friend from Thailand, but cooking sounds like a lot of work.

14. Go see post Ike Galveston.

Will do this summer - it was colder than usual here this winter and I can't handle the coastal breeze when it's cold.

15. Go to a New Orleans Mardi Gras post Katrina

February was way too busy this year, maybe we can plan on it for next.  Anyone want to go with?

16. Make homeade cookies with both the kids...I am guessing this will not be the same day that I don't yell!

I made Leaky's B-day cake at home and let them help decorate it.  Does that count?

17. Eat scallops...now that I know what they are, I am more inclined to try them. (FYI - they are typically circle cut outs of sting ray wings)

Done, can do without in the future. Ok but nothin' special

18. Go shooting at a gun range

Clint got a new pistol for Christmas, so we are definately going.

19. Get back into my sz 10's - I figure this size is more achievable than sz 6 in the amount of time I have - and yes, I am actually torturing myself with eating healthy to get there.

Sz 10 slacks yes, jeans no.  But I did drop to a 12 in the jeans, so YAY for me!

20. Do better at keeping up with tithing

Working on it

21..Call my family members at least 2x a month. I am terrible at loosing touch with everyone, because I hate to talk on the phone!

Nope, i think after recent chaos we will just have to see how this goes.
22. Do something as a suprise for my hubs (If you are reading this...You never know when it could happen!)

The watch I bought him for Christmas came as a huge shock to him. He was definately suprised!

23. Run the Kemah bridge...I really need to start training for that one. I know there are clubs who get up early in the morning and do it, but I am usually on my way to work at that time of the morning (see 5 am)

Still running, but not quite ready for the bridge yet.

24. Catch up on some of my TV shows...between working insane hours and having 78 gagillion things to do when I am actually off, my DVR is full!

Since the kids spent a good part of the Christmas break with grandparents, I caught up on everything except for Sons of Anarchy.  Then I got behind again.

25. Wear makeup and fix my hair more than once a month. I feel better about how I look when I take the time to do it, but making the time doesn't happen very often.

The only reason this was achieved was due to the holidays and having places to be.

26. Get my nails done. I think they have been neglected since June aside from my half assed attemps to keep them decent enough for flip flops.
Once.  Right before Christmas.  Now they look like crap again.  Note to self...GO GET YOUR DAMN NAILS DONE!

27. Buy new couches and a table.

Couch - done.  Table not so much.  Not really a priority at the moment.

28. Have family portriats taken (or at least make the appointment).

Scheduled...March 20th

29. I am at a loss for this last one. There are plenty of things that I want to do, but the logistics of doing them before 30 make them unlikely. I am going to use one of them anyway. I want to visit my sister who lives in Wisconsin and her son who is only 5 days younger than mine. I haven't seen her in 23 years, but the why is a super long story and has a lot to do with Bio Mom!

I didn't expect to do this one, but now that she is engaged I have a good excuse to travel up there.

5 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Now that's a great list! I need to check in with my Improving Myself list too. I'm doing it, slowly. Good one, dude.

Alyssa said...

Happy birthday to you! This is a great post about your goals and what you've accomplished. You don't need to post everyday, in my opinion; it's no fun when it's a chore. But here are a couple of posts I'd like to see: Day of Laughter, Sister Visit After 23 Years...Congratulations and enjoy your birthday!

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

Happy Birthday! This was a great list. I'm always too scared to actually write out something like this!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
Love that you checked off several of the things on your list! That's tough to do when you work full time and have two kids!

I also love that you're trying sushi and scallops. Two of my faves! My husband makes the best bacon wrapped scallops ever! When you guys come down for Mardi Gras we'll cook them for y'all;)

Erin said...

Happy birthday! I should make a list like this...looks like you've done pretty well at checking things off!