Feb 2, 2010

Too Tired to Make Much Sense!

I would certainly rather be in my warm cozy bed sleeping right now, than here at work praying that my coffee has enough caffeine content to keep me awake through another 10 hour day.

You see dear friends, I have a sleeping problem, or maybe I should say, a lack of sleeping problem. I cannot call it insomnia since it does not last more than 2 weeks at a time, but it is definitely a disturbance that in my OCD ways needs a name. Unfortunately, the most I have been able to discern on my bff Google is that it is a sleep disturbance. Well no shit Sherlock!

I have these "sleep disturbances" a few times a year. I am currently on day 2 of this one. The last was the worst so far, running about 2 1/2 weeks and at the same time I was starting a turnaround (working 6-7 days a week for 12-14 hour days). I think a large part of my problem - after the first initial days - is that I get myself so worked up about not being able to sleep that going to bed becomes such a dreaded time of my day, that my anxiety doesn't let me fall asleep. The other part of my problem is two fold.

1. I won't go to the doctor. I know what he will say. It's just stress blah, blah, blah and will tell me to take some OTC crap that is Benadryl (diphenhydramine) in different packaging OR will prescribe a prescription sleep drug that has side effects so much worse (in my mind) than sleep deprivation.

2. Did I mention I don't take medications until I am desperate? Pills scare me! I come from a family touched by addiction and depression. I see falling into that hole way to easy an option and will avoid even "safe" OTC options unless hog tied and forced. Okay, maybe not hog tied, but Clint does usually have to force me to take even Advil (except for migraines - I don't mess with that).

So tonight (assuming I am not forced to take the OTC sleep aid in my cabinet), I am going to go running when I get home, have a hot bath, drink some hot Sleepy-time Tea and go to bed. If that doesn't work (which I already know better) tomorrow night will start the sleeping (hopefully) with the assistance of Unisom (doxylamine).

I know there is an herbal product out there also that is supposed to help, but the fact they are not well tested scares me too!

What do you think? Do you have any things I can try to put myself to sleep with out meds? Aside from hitting myself over the head with a hammer that is?

5 comments:

Erin said...

Have you tried Melatonin? It is OTC, herbal (I think?). It helps regulate Circadian rhythms. Worth a shot!

Amy said...

UGH! I totally feel your pain on this one! Every Tuesday morning for the past 6 months the F'ing garbage trucks have woken me up at my in-laws house. They're like super duper trucks...and they pass like 4 times. I don't know what's going on with them at 4:30 am, but I've completely had it!!

Not to mention I don't sleep well on other nights either. It's awful, but like you I know it's stress related. Running helps me tramendously!!!

I also agree with Erin about the melatonin. My mom swears by it. It works for me occasionly. Try it out.

yawkar618 said...

I had the same problem... and after spending about $60 on every OTC remedy there was... I still couldn't sleep. I loved how quickly I would be knocked out when taking Unisom, but I had to take 3 at a time and I would just wake up 4 hours later and not be able to fall back asleep again. I tried the sleepy time tea, no caffeine after 4, no eating after 7, taking baths, writing all my thoughts out, reading... nothing helped. Until 2 nights ago. We moved the 2 dog beds out of our bedroom so that I wouldn't be woken up by them wanting to be covered back up...
I doubt you have that same problem but I'm glad I can sleep.
And I really really REALLY hope that you can sleep again. I know how frustrating it can be.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I don't have any advice for you, but I hope you get some sleep soon!

Aunt Becky said...

I do Benedryl every night. It works for me and I wish I didn't have to take it, but I don't have much of a choice. I hope it ends. Try and establish a nighttime routine and I like Ames's idea about running. Great stress relief.