Mar 12, 2010

Fantasy Friday

Today my boss was going to guest blog for me, but he got busy actually working and doesn't have the time to do the finishing touches until this afternoon.  This means you are going to have to wait for that till Tuesday.  Assuming he actually gets it done by then.  So, since I had no plan for today, I'm going to try something new.  I am going to tell you about one of my fantasies.  Sorry, no, it's not anything dirty...this week.

I had all kinds of dreams and aspirations when I was in high school that my parents just didn't agree with.  In hindsight only one of them can I now understand.  That one thing was playing football with the guys in jr. high.  Back then I didn't see what the big deal was.  I mean, they let me play street ball with the guys.  Now that I know what goes on behind the scenes, it was definitely not a place for an adolescent girl.

Another dream was to go the the Naval Academy.  Problem was, I had to start the process around 16 and get Congressional recommendations AND my parents to sign off on it.  NO WAY IN HELL!  So I set my sights on going off to college and getting my degree in Biotechnology and working my life diligently away as a lab rat with my face glued to a microscope.

Now, keep in mind this was well before the days of CSI and getting forensics degrees was a fad.  I fell in love with Biology and the way genes can mutate and where the marker for diseases lied during my sophomore year in high school.  I could see my self scooting around a lab on a tall roller stool.  I would spend my life doing ground breaking research into the causes of child hood diseases.  I wouldn't be paid much, but that wouldn't matter because the work was so damn important and made me feel immense pride that I was saving little lives.

What really happened was my parents didn't have the money to send me off to college, but they made to much for me to qualify for aid or grants.  So, they suggested I live at home and went to community college and they would help me out.  Turned out helping out meant I got to live at home for free.  I paid for all my books and classes that first semester - luckily they had a fledgling Biotech program that would completely transfer to a larger school after 2 years.  Then about 2 months in, my dad got in a drunken wreck (single car - no one injured) in which his car spent 6 weeks in the shop.  The result was he took my moms car and I had to drive my mom to work and pick her up.  This had me missing one class altogether, late for one, and leaving half way through a 3rd.  I ended up dropping the last class after I was failing the other 3 and it wasn't worth it to drive all the way out to the school for one course. 

2nd semester I started over and I did pretty well.  I moved out of my parents house, then ran into another problem.  My car broke down.  I only had a ride to school for algebra because it was at the same time my boyfriend had a class.  Once again, I was stuck missing my beloved science classes.  3rd semester I vowed would be different.  And it was.  I completed it from start to finish.  I had an A in my Biotech class going into the final.  Ooops...stupid me took a better job weeks before the end of the semester that had me sitting in more traffic than usual.  The final was supposed to start at 5.  I let the professor know I would likely be late due to my new job and he promised to make accommodations.  I got there at 5:30.  Everyone was gone.  No professor, no students.  No final.  I got a 0 and my shinning "A" became a dull "D".  IN MY CHOSE PROFESSION!

I gave up!  Which now is a catch 22.  I have a great job with great pay, but I long to go back to college follow my dream and finish what I started.  However, at this point I would probably have to start all over.

5 comments:

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

Wow..I say go back! I wanted to be model..of course, I never got past 5'3" and that hindered me. Then a buyer for Macy's in NYC. But I got married. Then work in a museum. But I got married again. And now..a blogger...not much money in that.

Alyssa said...

Cara, I am truly honored to have learned so much about you. That was touching and meaningful. I'm so sorry about all the obstacles that got in your way. I am, however, a firm believer in following your dreams. My hubs gave up his job as a pharmacist because he had always wanted to go to med school. It wasn't easy, and we're still in debt...but in the long run we think it was worth it.
I know in the future, when the time is right, we'll be hearing about you, too, following your heart. So glad to "know" you.

RN Mama said...

If it's your dream to finish college, then you should definitely go for it! I'm sure you will be so glad you did!

Btw, about that football... There was actually a girl at my school who played boy's football. I think she played for 2 years, and then she became a cheerleader, ha:)

Lisa Marie said...

Hey there! So glad I found you:)
Ian at http://thedailydoseofreality.blogspot.com/ told me pop by. I am happy to be a new follower and hope you drop by my blog sometime

Tracie said...

You should go back to school. It won't necessarily be easy but I'm sure it would be worth it in the end.