Apr 29, 2010

Let's Hear It For New York* - Thursday

*sang in my best Alicia Keys impersonation (which to be honest is worse than bad)

This past weekend was an absolute whirl wind.  We fit somuch into about 2.4 days that we possible could.  I'll break up the trip into days so the page will actually load with all the pictures.

Thursday:

5:30a - Neither of us can sleep, so we decide to make some good use of quiet time

6:30a - Get the kids up - bribe them with Donald's Donuts (best place around) if they hurry up and get ready

7:30a - Leaky drops chocolate milk all down the front of her clothes and we have to haul booty home to change and get the kids to school on time

8:00a - Drop kids off

9:30a - Leave for the airport

11a-1:30p - Flight to Chicago Midway

1:45p - Flight to NYC is delayed by 3 hrs (WTF)

2:00p-3:00p - Eat lunch at Harry Carey's in Airport

3:10p - Back to terminal to to discover flight has been moved back up 2 hrs and get on plane 20 min later

3:30p - 6:30p (allows for time change) - Flight to NYC

6:45 - Friends from Baltimore who took bus up, meet us at airport, grab bags and hire a car to take us to the Da Vinci Hotel on 56th and Broadway (which the driver had never heard of)

7:30 - Drop crap and head for some dinner in China Town.  Where you ask?  Joe's Sichuan.  Family style Chinese restaurant known for their pork and crab steam dumplings (I actually preferred the pork).  But I have to say, it was the best Chinese I have ever eaten.  Oh yeah, did I mention I don't know how to eat with chopsticks.  Well it was either learn or wait till Clint was done eating and convince him to feed me.  I decided it was time to learn.  I did OK.




9:15p - On to SoHo for drinks at a little Irish pub called Mc Sorley's Ale House.  Opened in 1854 and full of history.  Per Wikipedia "No piece of memorabilia has been removed from the walls since 1910. After the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994, they took the cup to Mc Sorley's and drank out of it; the resulting dent caused the NHL to take the trophy back for several days.[citation needed]  Famous people have imbibed at McSorley's, including Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Boss Tweed, and Woody Guthrie.  Two of McSorley's most famous mottos include "Be Good or Be Gone", and "We were here before you were born". Prior to the 1970 Supreme Court ruling, the motto was "Good Ale, Raw Onions and No Ladies." The raw onions can still be had as part of the famous McSorley's cheese platter. The prime condiment is some extremely spicy hot mustard found on each table in a beer mug."  The kicker of this place...you have two drink options..light ale or dark ale.  For the group of 4 of us 8 half pints were brought to the table at a time.  I have to say, just the 2 options were just right for us.


11:00p - An hour before midnight we found ourselves on foot again.  Head towards the Empire State Building.  It really takes some time just to get up to the observation deck of this builiding, even that late at night, there was still quite a few people (and some school groups) out to experience the quintessential New York tourist attraction.  There is so much more going on in that little strip of land than I ever expected.














1:30a - We make it back to our little boutique hotel and are ready to crash.  But, I have to clean up first.  Here's a tip for anyone who has never had this experience.  DO NOT wear flip flops in New York unless you want your feet to be BLACK!  Seriously, it was gross.  Attempts to sleep followed, but our a/c in the room sounded like Jim Carey from Dumb and Dumber making that really annoying loud noise...every 5 frikin' minutes!

Come back tomorrow to find out about our Friday adventures in the Big Apple!

9 comments:

Salt said...

I have made that mistake with flippers in NYC. GREAT PICTURES! It definitely sounds like a wonderful first day of your trip! I've never been to the top of the ESB at night and now I really want to!

Pam Ponder said...

Your first day sounds great, that restaurant sounds fun...I want to go, maybe someday...I can't wait to read more about your trip, thats too funny about flip flops I will have to take note just in case I go someday...

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

Looks like fun! Especially the restaurant!

Kelly

MiMi said...

I'll just repeat myself here...I want to go SO bad! :)

RN Mama said...

Haha, LMAO about that noise in Dumb & Dumber! Now I have that sound in my head:(

So jealous of your trip, I would love to go to NYC!

shortmama said...

Im exhausted already!!

Monique-aka-Surferwife23 said...

Why is Salt wearing flippers in NYC? Does she think she's Scuba Steve?

I know that annoying sound from Lloyd Christmas. Love that flick.

Jealous of your first day so far!

Ally said...

NYC is magical. I miss it even though I live like 45 minutes away. I used to live there and I'd walk to work wearing flip-flops in the summer months. It's really not a wise idea, but fashion ya know? Ha ha!

Tracie said...

I don't wear flip flops unless I've just had a pedi. I def. wouldn't wear them in NYC. Sounds like you had fun!