May 4, 2010

Let's Hear It for New York* - Saturday

sang in my best Alicia Keys impersonation (little off key, but I rockin' it now!)


If you missed it, go back and read about Thursday and Friday.


This post may be a little light on the pictures, our camera died Friday night so everything on Saturday was taken with my Blackberry.

Saturday:

6:30a - Stupid ass internal alarm clock...I hate that bitch.  I'm going to lay around for 2  hours and watch crappy TV until my husband wakes up.

8:30a - Shower, dress and discover my eyes are so blood shot that I look like I have pink eye (I have severe eye allergies).  We have to stop and get some eye drops NOW!  Now, where was that pharmacy again?

9:00a - Sit down for breakfast at Ben Ash and wait for our friends to join us.  Sneak off twice to administer more eye drops.  The food was okay (Clint thought it was excellent, but the snooty waitress got his order right).  We discuss seeing another show since the one the night before blew us away.  Decide that if we do see one we will go to the Cirque show.

10:30a - Yes, breakfast, took that long!  We decide its time to hit up the central park zoo!  My favorite are always the seals.  One was sunning and the other was swimming in circles around the rock formation in the center of their enclosure.  We went around to take a look at all the different exhibits.  Stepping into the tropical enclosure was like being home in the middle of summer.  Hot and sticky.  We all got a kick out of watching the penguins too (none of those photos came out well).  Overall, its a pretty cool little zoo, but it had nothing on Houston's.


11:30a - Since we are already there, we decide to walk around Central Park for a while.  While it was getting a little warm for my jacket, I never expected to see anyone laying out in the park in a bikini.  Sorry guys, she was too far away for a picture.  We climbed a rock formation and around musicians by a pond where there were miniature sail boat racing.  Most of this time, I spent on the phone with my daughter back home trying to figure out where the invitation for a party I didn't RSVP for went, because here Nana said she would take her.

12:30p - Clint spies row boats on a lake.  Totally something he wants to do.  I don't say anything, but really it has alarms going off in my accident prone mind.  I must have ESP or something, because as soon as we got to the gate to go in, he looks at me and says, "This might not be a good idea.  Cara will probably end up wet."  Sadly, he's right, I would have ended up wet.  Instead we watch everyone working out in the park, and laugh at critique some from a far.

12:45p - We are all getting pretty hungry, and we have yet to try New York pizza yet.  So the phones come out to determine where the best place is to have authentic New York pizza.  It was only a few blocks from Central Park so, we could walk it.  We had no clue how long that would actually take us.  It felt like we walked forever.  We even ended up walking through a benefit walk for Parkinson's.

1:30p - Famished and dehydrated we finally make it to Angelo's Coal Oven Pizza.  I'm not certain if the pizza was really that good, or we were just that hungry, but the 4 of us made good work of 2 large pizzas.

2:15p - Fat and happy we make our way to Time Square to see if we can get tickets to the show we want to see.  It took us about 15 minutes to decide that we didn't want to deal with the hassle of seeing the Cirque show (subway, ferry and bus), we would just have a really nice dinner and spend the evening hanging out.  Plus, all that time not spent in line, gave us time to shop.

We shopped in the Hershey's and M and M stores in Time Square where we bought the kids some really cool ice cream bowls, super huge bags of pink and blue M and M's, and Angelique a tank top.  We got Christian a T-Shirt from Bubba Gump Shrimp Co since Bubba is one of his many nick-names.

FAO Schwartz and Tiffany's are our only other 2 must stop places.  FAO was insanely packed.  I felt like I was shopping in the Galleria at a day after Thanksgiving Sale.  And I have never before in my life seen a stuffed animal for $3,000.  Lucky for us, my son's allergies do not allow him to have stuffed animals.

Tiffany's was quite the experience also.  Jen looked like she was right at home.  It was awesome to go there, but due to my cheap tendencies, I could not buy anything.  I have to say time flew by just looking at all of the beautiful things in that store.

5:00p - We decided to head back towards the hotels to get cleaned up and dressed for our nice dinner.  I was seriously hesitant about putting my high heels on my swollen feet.  Unfortunately, my only other option was to wear my Nike's or my flip flops (not repeating that mistake) with my dress.  So, I sucked it up, put on my make-up and crammed my feet into my killer - in more ways than one - pumps.  Thankfully, after walking the 3 blocks to meet back up, everyone decided the best plan of action for the evening would be to take a cab.  Thank the heavens above!

6:45p - We arrive at our destination.  Bond St Japanese.  If we didn't know the address, we would have never known it was there.  I have to say, every bit of our meal was amazing.  I'm not much on sushi (I have some food texture issues), but I did try the seared scallops and a few other things that were wonderful.  I ordered New York Strip and despite never using chop sticks before this trip, I did a pretty good job of keeping my food off myself while eating with them at this upscale establishment.  It took two hours of good drinks, food and conversation for us to be ushered out the door.

9:15p - Finally snug back in a cab directed in the general vicinity of our hotels, CJ pulls his phone out to search for a bar for us to enjoy the rest of our last night together.  He finds one called McGee's that is just 1 block between our hotels and is said to be the inspiration behind Mclarens (sp?) on How I Met Your Mother.  Hell yeah, that is where we are going.

9:45p - The bar looks nothing like the one on the show, but it looks cool anyway so we find a booth and kick off our shoes under the table and settle in for lots of drinks.  While enjoying our beverages we bs about everyone back home and watch our home teams play ball on the TV over the bar.  Baltimore got their asses handed to them and the Astros actually won one.  We spent the next 3 hours drinking Firefly Vodka* and listening to the boy - and yes by this point they were reverted to boys - retell old stories.

1:00a - We hug goodbye at the corner and as we make our way back to the hotel it starts to rain.  Running in heels after 3 days of walking was not happening, so we got a bit wet.  We threw somethings in the direction of suit cases.  It was time to get some sleep, we needed to be on our way to the airport by 8 the next morning.

Find out about our trip home on Thursday...

*Firefly Vodka is this amazing concoction that is vodka that taste like sweet tea and is even made with real sugar.  If you are a sweet tea junkie (see Southern) you have to try this stuff!

9 comments:

ModernMom said...

Oh how I loved this post! One of my fave trips ever was a trip for two to NYC with my Hubby. you talking about your swollen feet gave me flash backs! Never in my life did i do so much walking. Thanks for sharing:)

Tracie said...

I'm reading about your trip and it's making me ready to go back NOW. Love NYC so much.

Salt said...

I'm still laughing at "Baltimore got their asses handed to them". So typical. :)

That's too bad about your camera, but it sounds like you guys had a wonderful rest of your trip. FAO is ALWAYS like that. Every time I've been there I've almost been stampeded by kids.

carma said...

Isn't NYC awesome - last summer we went there and found a dollar pizza slice joint - the pizza was authentic and fantastic - saved us some big bucks on lunch. Don't eat at the Sbarro's in Time Square - bleh :-(

MiMi said...

I really really really want to go. Really.

shortmama said...

Now that I got to experience it all through you, I can cross it off my list of ever needing to go there!

Alyssa said...

I love NY!!! And I've made a fanatic out of my daughter! Of course, we're about 2 hrs. away so...it's a special treat for us that's doable pretty often.

Glad you had a great time!!!

Pam Ponder said...

I so want to go to NYC!!! especially since I am seeing it through your eyes..sounds like alot of fun...that vodka concoction sounds great but...the last time i drank vodka, lets just say all did not end well so I trust you on this one, I will have a margharitta please!!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I love NYC and would love to take the Evil Twin there - I've been several times, he has never been. Sounds like a great little get-away!