May 6, 2010

Let's Hear It For New York* - Sunday

Move over Alicia Keys - I'm taking it from here.  Oh wait, I'm going home.  Never Mind.

Sunday:

7:30a - Uuuuhhhhhhhh.  Shut up alarm clock.  I don't want to get up.  I didn't sleep in one single day of my mini vacation.

7:45a - I'm dressed.  Clint...It's time to get up.  We have to pack and get to the airport.  While he's in the bathroom, I unpack what he packed in my suitcase the night before and re-pack it my way...shoes at the bottom, everything folded (even dirty) and belts and accessories in the small compartments.  I know its sounds ridiculous.  I think I might be just a little OCD.  Shhh, don't tell anyone!

8:10a - Checking out of the hotel and it's raining.  Stare outside for 5 minutes  to see not one taxi go down the street.  Ask the receptionist if she can call for one.  We end up being picked up 5 minutes later in a Navigator that looks exactly like our own Expedition.

8:45a - Holy flying monkey balls.  We are already at the airport (Laguardia).  I wouldn't know...I can't open my eyes.  Dude drives just like Clint.  Scary!

9:00a - Um, okay.  We are already through check-in and security.  Where is everyone.  We were expecting that to take at least 30 to 45  minutes.  Whatever, I have coffee on the brain.

9:30a - No Starbucks here, so I settle for Dunkin' and a bowl of cereal.  Clint got the same and somehow our total was no less than $25.  I don't know if this is the norm for the donut chain, but I drink my coffee in a chemical plant most days of the week, and that stuff was stout!  We settle in for just over an hour wait to board.  Clint watched "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and I caught up on my reading "Crazy Love".  It is a eye opening book about faith by Francis Chan.  One I recommend.  The flight is overbooked and they are asking passengers to volunteer to be bumped for compensation.  Tempting, but I'm ready to go home.

10:40a - Pack into the to Chicago Midway like sardines in a can.  Clint sleeps on the flight.  I don't.  For some reason, can't, despite being exhausted.

1:30p - (Time Change accounted for) Eat and kill time staring out the window for an hour till our next flight.

2:45p - Time to go...back in line.  We are a little ways back with our boarding number and it is once again a packed flight.  While waiting in the line, I scope everyone out to determine who it would be the most fun to sit next to (Southwest does not assign seating, just boarding order).  There is a nun!  Sweet!  I tell Clint we need to sit next to her and watch "My Best Friends Girl" without the headphones.  In case you are not aware it is a Dane Cook movie with lots of cursing and some nudity.  Yes, I can be just a weee bit evil at times.  I'm workin on it.  A few minutes later Clint sees someone we know further back in the line.  We agree we should try to sit somewhere so he can sit with us.  Damn, no nun torture today.

I think we did end up watching "My Best Friends Girl" on the plane, but we wore the headphones and sat in the last row, so no one else was offended by the movie.

4:30p - Back on Houston soil.  Grab some kids, some dinner, and agree (reluctantly) not to unpack tonight.

I think it took a full week to catch up on sleep and for my feet to recover.  We had a great trip and I would tell anyone it is a trip that you should make at least once.  When my daughter is older, I am going to try to take a mother-daughter trip with our best friends.

So far, the only thing we can think of that we forgot do is food related.  We forgot to go to the original Katz's Deli.

A word of advice.  DO NOT get on the scale as soon as you get home from a trip like this!

9 comments:

Salt said...

Ahhh a great ending to your vacation story! It sounds like it was wonderful even if you didn't get any sleep.

I absolutely cannot sleep on a plane no matter how tired I am either. I'm always way too keyed up about flying.

MiMi said...

Heh. You said "holy flying monkey balls."
I always say that when my hubs is behind the wheel.

RN Mama said...

Don't you hate it when you feel like you need a vacation to catch up from your vacation?!

WhisperingWriter said...

I can't sleep on planes either. It's probably because I hate to fly and am worried that the second I shut my eyes, that we're going to crash or something.

gretchen said...

No, no, never the scale until you've been home at least two weeks to recuperate and reset. That's what vacations are all about!

JennyMac said...

Sometimes the sign of a great vacation is the need for more vacation to recover. LOL.

Happy Mommy's Day weekend!

Alyssa said...

I'll check out the book "Crazy Love" and thanks. I don't like the travelling part of a vacation. Ever.
Glad you're home and the trip was worthwhile...as measured by the scale.

Happy Mother's Day!

Miss Fit said...

Glad you got to get away. Me, I take staycations. Or I move. I'm giving you an award. Come check it out.

ModernMom said...

LOL Great ending to your trip.

Gotta tell you, just picking a random seat, no assigned seat would make this nervous flyer crazy!!

Smart move to stay away from the scales, but I bet you would end up even with all that walking you did!