May 27, 2010

Tears to Shed Today

I got an e-mail from my best friend Rachel last Tuesday:

Her brother-in-law and his wife had delivered their triplet baby girls at 28 weeks (this was the goal they were trying to reach) on the 18th.  They were all in excellent condition, none on ventilators and they had even been approved for breast milk.  All huge milestones for preemies in the NICU.  A huge welcome to the world for Payden, Allyssa and Temperance!

I got an e-mail from my best friend Rachel yesterday morning:

Please Pray!  The call had come in from the NICU that Payden needed some medicine for her heart murmur.  Nothing serious, but something they wanted to start.  One hour later another call.  Payden developed and intestinal virus.  It would be several hours before the severity would be determined, and they put her on a ventilator to help her tiny body focus all its energy to fight the infection.

I got an e-mail from my best friend Rachel yesterday afternoon:

Payden's bowel was also perforated along with the infection.  She was being transferred to the Children's hospital for surgery.

I got a phone call from by best friend Rachel yesterday evening:

Payden pulled through the surgery.  They had removed her colon and part of her intestine.  They were not sure yet how far the infection had gotten into her intestines, so it was still a wait and see situation.  They would be keeping her at the Children's Hospital and they didn't know yet if they would be able to transfer the other babies over to keep them in the same place.

I had an e-mail from my best friend Rachel waiting for me when I got to work at 5 this morning.  It was sent at 1:27 am:

Payden has passed away.

My heart dropped.  I'm not sure what to say or do, other than offer my support and be there for my best friend who is expecting twins herself.  Rachel and her husband made the trip up to Austin to be with their family.

Please pray for the Harrell family.  Pray for health for Allyssa and Temperance.  Pray for healing in their hearts for the loss of Payden.  Pray for Clarissa and Rustin as they share the news with their 6 year old daughter.  Pray for baby Greyson that passed away last spring after being born at 21 weeks.  This family has suffered unimaginable loss already.  Please pray for them!

8 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That's so sad. My son was a 28 weeker, but a single birth. It's still always a roller coaster ride in the NICU. My thoughts and prayers are with them and your family as well.

Salt said...

Oh no. This is so tragic. My thoughts are definitely with that whole family. I hope they can stay strong through this!

MiMi said...

OH no. So sad. :(
I will pray for the other 2 and for peace for the momma and daddy.

Erin said...

I am sending healing thoughts and prayers. I am so very sorry about this news.

;-(

Tracie said...

How terrible. The family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tenny said...

Oh...that's so so sad. I'll say a prayer for them. I can't imagine the sorrow they're going through.

ModernMom said...

There really are no words....prayers and hugs...

RN Mama said...

Oh, what a terrible loss, I'm so sorry. I will be praying for their whole family.