Jun 2, 2010

Blond Moment, But It Wasn't My Fault

Have you ever run out of gas?  Not figuratively speaking.  Literally, run out of gas in your car?  Well, I have done it twice now.  I know the few men who read this are now rolling their eyes, but I swear it is not my fault.

Both occurrences have been in my car.  A 1997 Cobra Mustang.  This is what it looks like (minus the snow...I really don't take many pictures of my car unless something out of the unusual happens...like snow in Houston)


It is a really sweet ride and gets lots of looks when it's all shined up and the top is down.  The only problem is its an older car and it is starting to have a problem or two.  All fixable, just need the mechanic every once in a while.  It's a pretty fair trade off given we have never had a payment on this vehicle.

It got a lot of looks yesterday stalled on the side of a desolate highway about 2 miles out from my job.

Now you may be wondering what kind of idiot runs out of gas.  Well, I took a photo of the gas gauge when it happened...unfortunately I can't load the picture from my Blackberry for some reason this morning, so you will just have to take my word for it.  The gauge was sitting pretty at 1/4 tank.  Seriously?  Let me excuse myself to shout in bleeps for a minute!

Okay, I'm done (for now).  When I left work, I decided at 92 degrees it wasn't too hot to put the top down and cruise.  With a quarter tank I would stop at the gas station on my way home, about 10 miles down the road.  No biggie.  Well the pretty 92 degrees at 60 mph was sweltering stopped on the side of the road.  I called my hubby, who luckily was home, to come help me.  Did I mention my commute is 45 minutes.  And the kids had to be picked up first.  I killed a little time playing with my ipod, messing with my phone that had nearly no signal, and calling my friend Rachel.  I was really lucky I had brought a bottle of water with me when I left work.  Usually, I just use a large tumbler for water when at work, but had grabbed a bottle when in someones office that afternoon.  If I hadn't I would have been dehydrated after sitting there for an hour.

Wait a minute, didn't I say this isn't the first time.  Yes, yes I did.  The first happened about a year and a half ago when I was rushing home from work on a rainy morning after getting a call from the school nurse that Leaky was sick.  That day it stalled at 1/8 tank.  So I stared being really careful to refill once I got to 1/4.  I guess that I am going to have to change my strategy.  Any ideas.  I can't go by the mileage because Clint drives it like the sports car it is and it runs through the gas faster that way.  So anything else you got, just let me know!

7 comments:

Salt said...

Oh no!!! I have no idea what to tell you. I've fortunately never run out of gas before, but I came SO close on these rural Pennsylvania back roads. It would have probably ended horror movie style for me if I had!

MiMi said...

I bet the dudes reading this are rolling their eyes that you let it get to 1/4. Which is where my car lives.

Amy said...

UGH! I ran out of gas a few months ago. But I can't blame it on a faulty gage, nope. That one was all me.

Oh, and I should mention I was 500 yards away from the gas station when it happened. Like it couldn't just go a little further??? GEEZ!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

You should probably refill at half a tank. That way, you'll be on full AND spend less each time you have to stop!:-)

Tracie said...

I've never run out of gas but our old van had a gas gauge that went wonky. We just filled it up everytime it went to 1/2 a tank. And we always filled it up before a long trip. It was going to cost $500 to fix it. Didn't seem worth it to us.

ModernMom said...

That sucks. Plain and simple. Guess you gotta drive that baby no lower then half? :)

Pat Tillett said...

Cars are great....right up until the time something doesn't work!