Jun 9, 2010

Muffin Top - Recipe Share

weightloss

This weeks assignment was to share our favorite healthy recipe.  I may be in trouble here.  My husband cooks the majority of our meals and while I do cook, mostly it's a lot of experimenting to make normal meals more exciting.  I do have my specialties, but those are definitely not on the healthy side of life.  Just ask anyone who has eaten Tex Mex Sheppard's Pie (recipe from Ed's grandma).  I usually have to make 3 casserole dishes of the stuff to satisfy everone's over indulgence in it.

Today I will share my chicken and rice recipe.

You will need:

3-4 chicken breast (dependent on size)
spices (this is where the experimentation comes in)
2 bags of boil in bag brown rice
steamed broccoli
Healthy Selection Cream of Mushroom Soup
2% Shredded Cheese

The first thing to do is season up you chicken.  My go to spices and herbs are garlic, Tony's (old bay will work too), Italian seasoning, rosemary, pepper, and usually a light Italian dressing.  If I run across something that strikes my fancy in the fridge or spice rack - I add that too.  Broil the chicken until it is cooked through.  Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken and they oven you use (I like to use my convection toaster over - less energy and cooks faster).  There are also times I cheat this part and just buy a preprepared rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

While you chicken is cooking away, throw your rice bags into boiling water for 10 minutes and steam your broccoli.  I also cheat on the broccoli steaming.  I will either use the green giant frozen steamables or fresh and use Ziploc steam bags.  I don't know how those things work, but they are amazing and I wash them out and use them multiple times when I'm just steaming veggies.

When all of your cooking is completed, cut up your chicken and mix it with the rice, broccoli and mushroom soup.  Pour it all into a greased casserole dish and bake it in the oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes.  Sprinkle on the cheese (if you want it) about a minute before pulling it out of the oven.

It took me a few times of making this before coaxing my picky eaters to try it, but once they did they loved it!

On another note.  I haven't weighed in this week, but when I did last Friday, I found I was down 8 lbs from starting.  I set a new goal to loose 10 lbs every 2 months so I don't have to beat myself up on the times I don't resist temptation.  This will also put me at my ultimate goal weight by early December!

7 comments:

Lee said...

I love those frozen steam in the microwave veggies. They seriously rock!!

Salt said...

I'm with Lee. Those veggie steamers are so simple and they always turn out great.

This sounds delicious and easy!

MiMi said...

Gonna have to pick up some of those veggies and that recipe sounds GREAT!

shortmama said...

This sounds so yummy! I am a casserole lovin' fool and this is right up my alley!

jbvadeboncoeur.info said...

Congrats on your weight loss - excellent.
Thanks for the recipe. I am casserole lover.

Tracie said...

Congrats on your weight loss! The recipe sounds good.

Sami said...

I love the simplicity of the recipe! If something has words I don't understand, I am not likely to make it. Thanks for sharing! I also MUST try out these zip loc steamer bags...