Jun 10, 2010

Uhhhh....Noooo!

This was the best that I could come up with.  Should I have seen this coming.  What the "F" are you thinking.

This does not even begin to touch the things that were going through my head when a co-worker came into my office on Tuesday afternoon.  "Can I have your number" in the whispery *wink-wink type thing is something I might expect to hear from a stranger in a club.  But at work?  From someone I see daily, but rarely speak with?  Who knows I am married (and I believe to be married as well)?  Seriously?

I was in the middle of responding to a blog comment on my blackberry and was completely thrown off guard.  One of you may have received a completely non-sensical reply on Tuesday...sorry...off my game.

Here is the back story (and there is very little to be told).  I have been working in this chemical plant as a contractor for 8 months planning maintenance shut downs.  He is employed by the plant and works in the same building.  His group meets in the dining area every morning at 6 to discuss that days work and any issues that may need to be addressed.  I go in and get my coffee at 6.  Smile politely, say good morning, grab my coffee and off I go.  He would occasionally pop in my office to say hello or put his hand on my shoulder while I was working at the copy machine.  I am not a touchy feely person, so this bugged me, but at the same time there are  a lot of people who do that kind of thing so I just shrug it off.  A few months ago, he came into my office and asked how the planning was going and gave me his number in case I needed something.  Little yellow flag went up, but I would be planning work that fell into his discipline, so just for work stuff.  Never had to use it.

Is this more common than I thought and I am just naive?  I mean I work in an industry that is (at least) 95% male dominated.  I have had my job for 3-1/2 years.  And while there have been some off color jokes - mostly from people I trust and I know for certain they are jokes - I have never had anything like this happen before.

Of course, I called Clint and told him.  Very quietly since our walls are paper thin.  He laughed and said it was because I am hawt!  Then asked if it was one of the "higher ups".

I had to be a smart-ass and reply..."Should I have said yes if it was?" 

His actually thought process behind the question was if I need to put into action something to protect myself/job if they had that kind of power.  Nope...nothing like that.  My job is safe.  I just have to suck it up and act normal when I go to get my coffee in the morning and pass in the hall.  I am certainly not going to hide in my office because some ass over stepped a line.  Hopefully, he will realize my uhhhh...noooo! was a firm NO!

What would you do?

10 comments:

Salt said...

I would probably let it go. For now. But if his behavior continues, I'd say something.

But then again that's me. I think that anyone who is made to feel uncomfortable in the work place should say something if it becomes a problem. We spend way too many hours of our life at work and it shouldn't be made into an uncomfortable place.

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

I'd let it go as well at this point but if it happens again.. I'd say something. That is way crossing the line.

Tracie said...

I think I'd let it go. As for your question about how common this is, I have no idea. I usually only work with women. The one or two token males that come around are just one of the gals.

MiMi said...

I'm with everyone else on this one...FOR NOW, let it go.
But if it goes further...maybe do something. What? I don't know. But something.

shortmama said...

If he doesnt take the hint I would say something

Sami said...

I agree! Hopefully he'll take the hint, but if not, you definitely should say something, even if it just means reminding him that you are a married woman.
If it would help, you could even keep a picture of your hubs holding something intimidating on your desk...

carma said...

what would I do? probably run and hide. I'm not good at confronting things that need to be confronted ;-)

sandandstarfish said...

what an awkward situation to be in! i was almost in the same boat when we hired a new guy. he was hitting on me, even with my wedding ring on and even with my husband working in the same building! instead of thank you he says spank you, always sits down next to my desk and asks me what my plans are for the night... as if he would like to spend them with me. now i just bring up my husband in as may situations as possible and hope that he gets the hint. if not... i'll have to bring out the big guns and call him out.
hopefully your creeper will take the hint and leave your hottie boom body alone ;)

Alyssa said...

First off, I agree with your husband. It happened because you are "hawt". Next, he was smart to ask if this man was one of your bosses. Since he's not, I'd certainly have no problem talking loudly...very loudly...should the idiot try it again. He needs to be embarrassed, not you. Finally, I have no idea how common this is, but I do know it would make me extremely uncomfortable. Good luck, Cara, and keep your husband on speed dial!

Eternally Distracted said...

What a total pillock!! If all else fails send him the link to this post ;0)