Jul 20, 2010

New Rule in The House

I must be insane.  I think I created a new rule in my home to punish myself.  I guess now I just need to cross my fingers and hope that it all works out for the best.

I have previously covered the fact that my daughter is particular about her clothing here.

Not only does she want to wear specific brands, she has specific requirements.  Such as:  no buttons, no zippers, no ties, she has to be able to put it on entirely on her own.  This has been the case since before her 2nd birthday.  Only in the last year did she start wearing jeans and tennis shoes.

Despite all of her limitations, the child has an overstuffed closet.  Somethings that still have the tag on them even since she decided it didn't meet her criteria after we got it home and for various reasons (like I hold my breath hoping she will change her mind, or lost the receipt, or its too big of a pain in the ass to take it back to the store) they didn't get returned.

About a week before we went on vacation, Christian was playing in Angelique's room and left it in a overwhelming state of disaster.  Being the wonderful, sweet, loving (is anyone else laughing hysterically) mother that I am, I decided to clean it up while she was staying over at a friends house.  It wasn't her fault (entirely) that her room was trashed. 

That's what I was thinking when I started.

After 3 hours of finding clothing behind the bed, under the dresser, hiding on the shelves under her clothes, in boxes on her shelves, and thrown up at the top of her closet, I was seething.  It was probably a good thing the child was not around at that time.  It gave me some time to cool down.  And to devise a plan.

Here are the main points of Angelique's new rule:
  1. No one will be buying her clothes but herself.  (Her Nana will have a bit of leeway, but not much)
  2. She will earn money to buy her new clothes by doing chores.  Specifically, she will unload the dishwasher when the dishes are clean, she will keep her room clean, put her clothes up (correctly) as soon as they come out of the laundry, and she will be responsible for washing 1 load of clothes per week - mainly the bright colors since her wardrobe dominates that load of laundry.  Dependant on her workload that week she can earn $10 to $15 a week.  I think it is a little high, but she needs to earn enough for back to school clothes.
  3. For every one thing she buys, she must remove 2 from her closet to donate, sell at the resale shop, or hand down to friends or family.  Whatever money she makes at the resale shop is hers to spend on new clothes.
That is essentially it.  The hope behind it is to teach her responsibility and the value of her clothing.  I am thinking maybe when it comes time to go shopping before school starts again, she may just realize how much more she can buy when shopping at Target vs. shopping at Justice.

What do you think?  Is 7 too young to start teaching these lessons?  Is my sanity worth it if I don't try?

10 comments:

shortmama said...

Sounds like a good plan. Hope it goes well! Im lucky that my oldest pretty much wears whatever I buy her!

MiMi said...

That sounds like an awesome plan to me!
When I started buying my own clothes I realized very quickly how far a penny went at Target compared to some fancy schmancy clothing boutique.

blueviolet said...

I like the idea of something coming in and two things going out. She will really think about whether a new purchase is worth it, especially since she'll be earning the money to buy it in the first place!

MommyLovesStilettos said...

Hi Cara! Thanks for stopping by and following me :)

I'm following you back :)

Alyssa said...

I love what you're doing and think it's not only a great idea but probably very much needed for us in the future. I've been dreading school years, the competition with clothes, peer pressure, etc. I wish I could find a school with uniforms appropriate for my daughter. Really, I'm not looking forward to Justice but I know it's coming soon, too soon as far as I'm concerned. Good luck with it and let us know how it's going.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Our son is 12 and wears everything I bring home for him - although I do let him choose if he's with me. Our daughter is 4 and also wears anything, but I can tell she's going to get into picky mode before too long. I love your plan!

Yankee Girl said...

I don't think kids are ever too young to learn the value of things. Sounds like a great rule!

Jenn said...

I think this is great...and will also teach her about budgeting and only buying what she has money for! My son is somewhat particular about clothes...so I try not to buy anything without him with me. I finally realized it wasn't worth me bringing it home and getting upset because he doesn't like what I like for him. Thankfully, he's never been into brands...so, he will shop cheap..except for shoes. And I can deal with that!

Salt said...

I think it definitely sounds like a good plan. Never too young to get started teaching this sort of thing. I kind of wish my own parents had set down some rules and maybe I wouldn't have turned into such a clothes hoarder/shopaholic when I got older. (I'm better now.)

Amy said...

I think it's never too young to teach responsibility. If you keep going down this road, imagine how out of control things will be once she's a teenager.

Good for you mama! And she'll probably really enjoy the grown up feeling of earning money and buying her own clothes:)

Good luck!