Mar 30, 2012

Music for my Mood

I love music.

My iTunes library should prove that.  It is full of a completely random collection of genres and songs that one would never think could never belong on one person's collection.  It includes alternative, Celtic, Christian and Gospel, Latin, Classic Rock, Classical, Electronic, Rap, Oldies, Texas/Red Dirt and many others inbetween.

I often choose my music based on the mood I am currently in.  Even with all my options, I have days I can't place that mood and don't turn it on at all.  I can definitely feel that something is missing on those days. 

I have been feeling a bit melancholy lately.  That coupled with my father in law being in the forefront of my thoughts recently through life events (his partner's retirement party, one of my team member's mother passing from cancer, and finally getting the electrical polls run to the house he was building that will now be ours) I decided to listen to his playlist this morning.

We created this playlist before he passed.  When at the end of August he decided he was done fighting, my husband and our best friends went through our collections and put together a list of the songs that would bring him to life in our hearts when we heard it.  Dave even had some request for the list.  We used songs from this list when we created the slide show for his memorial service two months later.

This is what is making me smile through my mood this morning:

Cowboys and Sailor - Roger Creager
Going Up the Country - Canned Heat
Lavender Blue - Sammy Turner
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
London Homesick Blues - Jerry Jeff Walker
I'm Alright - Kenny Loggins
Never Alone - Barlow Girl
Even If It Breaks Your Heart - Will Hodge
Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground - Willie Nelson
Down to the River to Pray - Alison Kraus
Oh Yeah - Yello
Quarter to Three - Gary U.S. Bonds
A Pirate Looks at Forty - Jimmy Buffett
Prodigal Son's Prayer - Dierks Bently
Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
Where the Boat Leave From - Zac Brown Band
Word of God Speak - Mercy Me

No comments: