I have seen my biological mother only a handful of times since I was 19 (most of which were mentioned in the linked post) and no contact in the 14 years prior. I saw her once more after that occasion and actually spent most of two days in her company. I finally was able to get to the point where, while I will never understand her actions, I forgave her for not being there while I was growing up. Honestly, while it was still hard, I very likely was better off growing up without her influence. I came to the point of forgiving her when I knew it was poisoning my life to hold onto all that animosity. Over the course of the two years following those 2 visits, she called 3 more times to say she was coming to visit. The first two of those I got my house cleaned up and cleared my schedule to accommodate her. Both times resulted in a no show with a text message a few days later with an excuse. The last one early last fall I didn't bother even picking up my house. She didn't show up then either. After much introspection and prayer, I have come to the conclusion that while I have forgiven her, I don't have to have a relationship with someone who brings up feelings of being not worthy of the time to keep a commitment to (or even calling prior to missing it).
I occasionally receive random texts from her (usually of the chain-mail variety), unless they are referring to how great her life has been because of me...you know since she has spent so much time in it. I typically ignore them unless they are general holiday sentiments in which I typically return the same.
- Feb 17th: Hello daughter I know that your birthday is around the corner. I will never forget the first when a beautiful precious girl came into my life. Being your mom has always been a blessing.
- Feb 24th: Happy Birthday You stole my heart the day you were born. I have been blessed everyday since. Even the days I mourned because we were separated. The day you stepped off the plane in 1999 I felt the same elation as the day you were born 32 years ago.
- April 8th: Happy Easter and God Bless
- The gist of it was Happy Easter, it's good to hear your voice even if it is in a message. I know I'm not good at staying in touch, but I really do love you and Clint and the kids. The guy I'm seeing and may marry (#6) we may be moving to Texas soon. If it's meant to be it will happen.
This was the message I got on Facebook Easter evening:
- Cara Why is (sister's step mom) a friend and not me? That hurts, are you ashamed of me? Hate me? I do the best I can with what I have. I never put anyone down, I trust the Lord to lead me in life. I have prayed everyday that you and (sister) would be back in my life, I got tired of struggling to find a way to get you girls back. I was never going to have the amount of money that it was going to take, to get you girls back. You can ask anyone how broken my heart was and still is. I will continue to pray for God's guidance. I love you and never ever stopped.